The African Academy of Sciences (AAS) is delighted to announce the election of 39 Fellows for the 2019 election year.
AAS recognizes scientific excellence by electing to its membership outstanding scholars who have attained the highest level of excellence in their scientific field and have made significant contributions to the advancement of science regionally and globally. AAS Fellows are elected for life through a rigorous peer review process on the basis of excellence in their publications record, innovations, leadership roles and contribution to policy and society.
The newly elected members include four (4) Honorary Fellows, six (6) Associate Fellows and twenty-nine (29) Fellows from a cross section of disciplines. Please find the list of new members below this announcement and you may read about them at: Profiles - Fellows of AAS 2019.
Are you interested in becoming a Fellow of AAS? The 2020 Nomination Call is now open – see below!
2020 Call for Nominations for the African Academy of Sciences Fellowship
We are pleased to inform you that the 2020 Call for Nominations for the African Academy of Sciences Fellowship is now open!
Nominations are submitted by current AAS Fellows and Associate Fellows but individuals who are interested i in becoming Fellows of AAS may themselves approach an AAS Fellow to nominate them. Profiles of Fellows of The AAS are available on our website and once you identify a Fellow/Associate Fellow, you may contact the secretariat to put you in touch with Fellows who can nominate you.
More information on The AAS Fellowship and the nomination process, is available on the AAS website at https://www.aasciences.africa/fellows-aas.
Nominations must be submitted by 7th December 2020.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need any clarification.
- Prof. Richard Erskine Leakey |Stony Brook University | Cultural Sciences, Humanities and Social Sciences | Male | Kenya
- Mrs. Mary Chinery-Hesse (née Blay) | University of Ghana | Cultural Sciences, Humanities and Social Sciences | Female | Ghana
- Prof. Thulisile Madonsela | Stellenbosch University | Cultural Sciences, Humanities and Social Sciences | Female | South Africa
- Dr. Graça Machel | Foundation for Community Development | Policy Sciences | Female | Mozambique
Fellows and Associate Fellows
- Dr Sileshi Gudeta Weldesemayat | University of Kwazulu Natal | Agricultural & Nutritional Sciences | Male | Ethiopian
- Prof. Mamoudou Sétamou | Texas A&M University-Kingsville | Agricultural & Nutritional Sciences | Male | Beninese
- Prof. Christian Pirk | University of Pretoria | Biosciences | Male | German
- Prof. Dhanjay Jhurry | University of Mauritius | Biosciences | Male | Mauritian
- Prof. Collet Dandara | University of Cape Town, South Africa | Biosciences | Male | Zimbabwean
- Dr. Luna Kamau | Kenya Medical Research Institute | Biosciences | Female | Kenyan
- Prof. Chedly Abdelly \ Agence Nationale de la Promotion de la Recherche Scientifique (ANPR) | Biosciences | Male | Tunisian
- Dr. Daniel Masiga | International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE) | Biosciences | Male | Kenyan
- Dr David Kenfack | Smithsonian Institution | Biosciences | Male | Cameroonian
- Prof. Kayode Adebowale | University of Ibadan| Chemical Sciences | Male | Nigerian
- Prof. Catherine Molyneux | KEMRI Wellcome Trust Research Programme | Cultural Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences | Female | British
- Prof. Ahmed Gomaa A. Radwan | Nile University | Engineering Technology & Applied Sciences | Male | Egyptian
- Prof. Jinde Cao | Southeast University, China | Mathematical Sciences | Male | Chinese
- Prof. Dumitru Baleanu | Institute of Space Sciences,Romania/Department of Mathematics, Cankaya University,Turkey | Mathematical Sciences | Male | Romanian
- Prof. Ali Hadi | American University in Cairo (AUC) | Mathematical Sciences | Male | Egyptian
- Prof. Lars Hviid | Centre for Medical Parasitology, University of Copenhagen | Medical & Health Sciences | Male | Danish
- Prof. Mark Edward J. Woolhouse | University of Edinburgh, UK | Medical & Health Sciences | Male | British
- Prof. Ijeoma Uchegbu | University College London | Medical & Health Sciences | Female | British
- Prof. Richard Adegbola | RAMBICON | Medical & Health Sciences | Male | Nigerian
- Prof. Ibrahim EL-Sherbiny | Zewail City of Science and Technology, Egypt | Medical & Health Sciences | Male | Egyptian
- Prof. Lewis Roberts | Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science | Medical & Health Sciences | Male | American
- Dr. Mathew D. Esona | Centers For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Atlanta, USA | Medical & Health Sciences | Male | Cameroonian
- Prof. Shane Norris | University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa | Medical & Health Sciences | Male | South African
- Prof. Martin Antonio | Medical Research Council The Gambia Unit at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine | Medical & Health Sciences | Male | Ghanaian
- Prof. Collins Ouma | Maseno University, Kenya | Medical & Health Sciences | Male | Kenyan
- Assoc. Prof. Nicki Tiffin | University of Cape Town | Medical & Health Sciences | Female | Zimbabwean
- Prof. Mahamadou Thera | Université des Sciences des Techniques et des Technologies de Bamako (USTTB) | Medical & Health Sciences | Male | Malian
- Prof. Halidou Tinto | Institut de Recherche en Sciences de la Santé (IRSS) | Medical & Health Sciences | Male | Burkinabe
- Prof. Nelly Mugo | Kenya Medical Research Institute | Medical & Health Sciences | Female | Kenyan
- Prof. Grace Gbotosho | University of Ibadan | Medical & Health Sciences | Female | Nigerian
- Prof. Yahya Choonara | University of the Witwatersrand | Medical & Health Sciences | Male | South African
- Prof. Zouheir Sekkat | Université Mohamed V | Physical Sciences | Male | Moroccan
- Prof. Hichem Eleuch | University of Carthage/ Tunisia | Physical Sciences | Male | Tunisian
- Dr Ketevi Assamagan | Brookhaven National Laboratory | Physical Sciences | Male | Togolese
- Prof. Harald Winkler | University of Cape Town, Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment, associate African Climate and Development Initiative, Economic/Policy Sciences | Male | South African